Summer heat is brutal on all of us, your appliances included. It’s important to be aware of ways in which summer can affect your appliances so that you can work to keep them in good condition all summer long. The last thing you want is for your refrigerator to stop working, spoiling your food and leaving you with room temperature beverages, or for your washer and dryer to not clean your swimsuits or activewear properly. Here is what you should know about the ways in which summer can affect your appliances.
#1. Your Fridge And Freezer Work Overtime
One of the appliances most impacted by the summer months is your fridge and freezer. Your fridge needs to work a lot harder in order to keep your food and drinks cool when it’s boiling outside. In some cases, you may find that your refrigerator stops working altogether or for it to read the temperature you’ve set it to incorrectly. You don’t want to run the risk of your fridge or your freezer not working anymore and for your food to end up spoiled or downright dangerous to eat.
Summer can affect your appliances, like your fridge and freezer, hard because of the high, high temperatures and because of how difficult air circulation can be. Fortunately, there are things that you can do in order to keep your fridge and freezer running smoothly so that they do not overheat. These include:
- Ensuring they are not too close to the walls, to allow for air circulation
- Don’t overfill them, but keep them full
- Keep them clean
- Ensure that the seals close properly
- Keep the fridge set to an optimal temperature; this is typically between 35 and 38 degrees Fahrenheit
- Putting your fridge and freezer somewhere cool, so that they are less vulnerable to the heat
- Clean the condenser coils regularly
- Not opening it all the time
- Defrost it frequently
- Cover food and liquids, as they can release moisture that causes your fridge and freezer to need to work harder
Summer can affect your appliances like your fridge and your freezer quite a bit, but by taking the proper precautions, you can enjoy properly cooled food all summer long. If you are struggling with your fridge or your freezer, you can contact a technician to come out and either repair or replace them, depending on the severity of the issue.
#2. Your Washer And Dryer Run More Often
Chances are, you’re needing to do more loads of laundry during the hot summer months. With how sweaty clothes can get from a mere walk around the neighborhood to swimsuits to activewear from summer sports, all this laundry can put quite a strain on your washer and your dryer.
Summer can affect your appliances, such as your washer and your dryer, by subjecting them to overuse. This can result in them wearing out fasting, causing you to need to replace them sooner. Additionally, summer can affect your appliances by exposing them to higher temperatures, which can cause them to overheat.
Some of the ways in which you can preserve the integrity of your washer and your dryer are as follows:
- Using cold water to wash your clothes with
- Hanging your clothes out to dry outside, rather than using your dryer
- See if you can condense loads (but don’t overload your washer or your dryer!)
- Try to space out loads so that you don’t overuse your washer or dryer
- Only wash clothes when they are actually dirty (Most clothes can be worn up to 3 times before they need a wash, however, in the summer, this often isn’t the case. Use your best judgment to determine whether something needs to be washed or not.)
- Keep the doors propped open when not in use, in order to prevent condensation buildup
Your washer and your dryer use a lot of energy in order to run and can overheat during these boiling summer months. Summer can affect your appliances by also worsening any existing issues, so you’ll want to ensure that you have any necessary maintenance or repairs done in order to help your appliances beat the heat and continue to work properly all summer long.
Do You Need Appliance Maintenance Or Repair?
VanderDoes Home Services is aware of all the challenges that can result from how summer can affect your appliances. We can conduct maintenance or do any needed repairs in order to keep your appliances working properly all summer long. If your appliances are in need of maintenance or repair, please don’t hesitate to contact us today!